Friday, April 3, 2009

No-Knead Bread



Not garden related, but who cares...? This is what I get to eat for lunch, and the exciting part is that I made it myself (I also grew the lilacs behind it in the picture). It's Mark Bittman's No-Knead bread. I know that I'm a little late to sing the praises of this one (the recipe was published like 2 years ago, and I do seem to recall that there was quite a cacophony of praise on the intarweb), but it took me a while to get around to making it, and it turns out that it was worth the wait. It's just like rustic bakery bread; it has the thick and crispy crust, the chewy crumb and the yeasty fermented flavor of a well heeled loaf. As far as I can tell the only difference is that instead of the familiar alcoholic bready aroma, this loaf smelled like play dough when I sliced into it. Brought me right back to pre-school. It's stupidly easy to make and delicious... I highly recommend it!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Marion -- thanks again for the wonderfully detailed info on how to grow melons in Davis. And now for another question: Could you tell us the same thing about corn?

    -- Sylvia, who is waiting obediently for warmer days to plant melons, but couldn't wait and put two Celebrity tomatoes in the ground yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sylvia,
    I'm totally itching to plant too. I finally got most of my beds prepped right before the rain started. I'll be starting to plant corn sometime this week, but the rest of the summer veggies are going to have to wait until the end of March. I'm just too busy to get out in the garden before then! It's killing me! Anyhoo, have fun with your corn and lemme know if you have any more veggie questions. I'm having fun answering them.

    ReplyDelete